Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 20 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 18 guests.

Most users ever online was 177 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:12 am

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 18 guests based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Mp3 player

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Site Statistics

Total members 4153

Total posts 59810
Total topics 11262

Our newest member PSSodhi959

Search

53 NSCC R/P Jalandhar

Discuss about rifle shooting from .22 to big bore shooting.

53 NSCC R/P Jalandhar

PostAuthor: shutzen » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:01 pm

HI! Folx just got back from the 53 NSCC R/P at Jalandhar . Well this year the NSCC started with a bit of a Shocker - The NRAI has imported a whole bunch of
digital checking equipment for checking clothing as per the latest ISSF rules and in this equipment the operator has no control over the pressure which is exerted
on the clothing and he just place the item to be checked under it and it gives a LCD Digital readout of the thickness or stiffness of the item. I think these were got
for the commonwealth youth games and in preps for the Commonwealth game next year .The old faithfull jacket which saw me through 4 nationals in small bore and
three nationals in bigbore "failed" marginally in the new fangle thickness tester - Earlier it had passed all through these years maybe since it was marginally thicker
and when the tester was pressed slightly harder manually it compressed enough to pass! The old thickness testers had both dial gauge versions and LCD versions .
Anyways this time as the autoloader was in use the official at the weapons & equipment control made me cutt off the entire inner layer of the jacket - sadly it was the
thicker layer and I was left with just the thin outer layer ( Shooting jackets are double layered) . Well since I had no option but to comply if I wanted to participate I
had to do it. The second time around my single layered butchered up jacket passed with flying colors with huge margins to spare! The weight of the jacket reduced to
1/3 of the orignal and without the inner layer it was a looser fit. Anyways I now had a excuse to order a new jacket which I may not have
ordered for another 3 years at least ;) Well here is a pic of the jacket sans the inner layer -

The remenants of the thick white inner canvas layer can be seen around the borders.

This exercise of getting the 2 ply jacket made to single ply took over two hours and totally pissed me off - hell these guys took 4+ years and 7 competitions to fail my jacket.

Next day My Son was to shoot the 50 meter .22 rifle match at 10.30 AM. The Punjab police has a excellent 50 M range but what they had done was something extraordinary.
The had covered literally the entire stretch of the 50 meter range wind and sun breakers with a tarpuline made of white HDPE woven bags. This decreased the ambient light inside the
range even on a normal day - dont know why it was done - maybe to keep the cold at bay or whatever . However the weather gods decided to piss on the NRAI party and soon we
had dark black thunderclouds overhead and it started to rain pretty heavily. The tents put up outside the venue housing the weapon and equipment control nearly had its roof cave in
with a huge collection of water on the roof and started leaking like crazy resulting in the shifiting of the W&E control to a corner in the 25 meter pistol range. THe poor vendors who
had put up stalls all had to pack up. The light in the 50 M range decreased to such a extent that it became very difficult to spot the scoring rings on the targets through the spotting
scopes! Sometime we could not even spot the bullet holes. It was pretty dark conditions and many team managers and spectating competitiors were talikng about stopping the match
but the NRAI in its typicall Indian babucratic manner just went ahead with the schedule - they were helped to some extent by the fact that the butts were covered by a tin shed and the
punjab police recruits changing the targets had no say in the matter ;). Anyways as the white HDPE tarpaulins filled with water they sagged bleow the wind/sun breakers and further
reduced the ambient light in the range. This lighting and rain combo let to a largely low score event with most shooters who shot on the 14-15 suffering. This same situation held good
for the Shotgun Nationals held in Patiala too. Anyways I am posting some pics below of the actual conditions- I have purposely not adjused the aperture of the camera to a wider one
in order to caputure some true pics of the conditions- anyways flash photos are prohibitted at the ranges. If you want the images brighter simply download them and use any image
editing software to brighten them up. Some of the images are of 13/11 and the conditions were relativley okay on that day. On the 15/11 we had heavy FOG in the morning and haze
throughout the day .

The main "Welcome Board" on the air rifle range - sponsers to the event Sahara & Walther

The Walther stall

Free weapons service at Walther stall

Cappapie stall - he had the local "doktor' brand pump for Rs. 8000/-

AHG sports shot stall - he had the "Hill Pump" on display along with a FX!

Master shot!

There was also a gehmann stall and one from some dude in ahmedabad.

NOW for some action shots:

25 meter range with the "rained out and relocated" weapons & equipment control in one side -
look at the light!

25 meter spectator gallery

50 Meter rifle range - look at the droopy tarpaulins full of rain water in the sun breakers and look at
the light in all these pics

50 M downrange view

spectators gallery at 50 M range

Indoor air range 10 M - no effect of elements on this one ;)

spectator gallery 10 M with a water puddle on the floor from the leaking roof !

Anyways end result is that both me and my son shot the MQS in our matches- though with some
problems due to the jacket and weather effects! I am sorry but keeping the above conditions in view
I was really pissed off and these are all the pics I clicked ;)
shutzen
Cal .375
Cal .375

My Guns: .22's,6mm BR ,.30's, 315, .32 Pistol ,12Ga
City: Chandigarh

Re: 53 NSCC R/P Jalandhar

PostAuthor: TenX » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:23 pm

Great write up chief.. well done :)
"""Never Shave without a Blade"""
TenX
Cal .600 NE
Cal .600 NE

My Guns: None
City: Bangalore

PostAuthor: tirths » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:31 pm

Nice virtual tour! Thanks shutzen.
tirths
Cal .375
Cal .375

My Guns: B40, Cannon, CFX, Titan
City: Chennai

PostAuthor: Rhys79 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:47 pm

Pathetic conditions.... but really great write up ..Surprising with conditions like these we still produce medal winners if only our infrastructure had to improve we would be a force to reckon with.. :(
That which does not kill me . . . had better run pretty damn fast!
Rhys79
Cal .375
Cal .375

My Guns: Kicked Out
City: Goa

PostAuthor: Olly » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:01 am

Very nice writeup Shutzen ! Thanks for sharing with us....
A gun by your side is better than police in the neighbourhood.

People who value privileges above principles, soon lose both.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore...
And who always will....

Olly
Cal .600 NE
Cal .600 NE

My Guns: 7.62x63; 7.65 S&W(L), 4.5mm, 5.5mm
City: EarthGPS28DOT35NAND77DOT12E

PostAuthor: nm » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:40 pm

Excellent write-up.......felt as if we were there.......

NM
nm
Cal .223
Cal .223

My Guns: Many
City: New Delhi

PostAuthor: Shamsher » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:11 pm

Great narration chief.. nah! big chief! that sounds better :lol:

I wonder if the paper targets got soggy too, wonder what the pellets would have done to them...

ss
Shamsher
Cal .600 NE
Cal .600 NE

My Guns: Some for fun
City: Taj Mahal

PostAuthor: Goldfinger » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:57 pm

tHATS THE sHUTZEN WE HAVE BEEN MISSING FOR SOME TIME. Gooood!!! fORGOT TO PUT THE CAPS LOCK OFF BUT iAM NOT GOING TO CHANGE IT THIS TIME.

Why don't we see you ? Yeah because you were behind the camera.

I heard that in international events there is a paper roll behind the targets which moves laterally at a very slow speed thereby ensuring that all shots are accounted for. This way nobody can shoot a good clover and let fly the others and then claim all shots in the same clover group. Is that right and do we have it in our Nationals ?
smilies_007
Goldfinger
Cal .375
Cal .375

My Guns: Walther DBBL. Brno Model 2, HW 90

PostAuthor: Shamsher » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:27 pm

Goldfinger wrote:tHATS THE sHUTZEN WE HAVE BEEN MISSING FOR SOME TIME. Gooood!!! fORGOT TO PUT THE CAPS LOCK OFF BUT iAM NOT GOING TO CHANGE IT THIS TIME.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
being generous today :lol:
big words... oh oh.. big letters! :lol:
TGG, wERoCk!!!! ......hunters, fishermen and other liars gather here!
Shamsher
Cal .600 NE
Cal .600 NE

PostAuthor: Shamsher » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:29 pm

oN sECOND tHOUGHTS :lol:

wHY sHOULD yOU hAVE aLL tHE fUN :lol:
Shamsher
Cal .600 NE
Cal .600 NE

PostAuthor: tirths » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:36 pm

you have CAPS lock ss
tirths
Cal .375
Cal .375

My Guns: B40, Cannon, CFX, Titan
City: Chennai

PostAuthor: shutzen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:40 pm

Thanks for all the good wishes and comments folks. Glad You enjoyed the ahem.. dark pics ;) Had the jacket goof up not happened I would have gotten more pics -but I promise to make it up in the Big Bore nationals next month end.
shutzen
Cal .375
Cal .375

PostAuthor: shutzen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:47 pm

Shamsher wrote: I wonder if the paper targets got soggy too, wonder what the pellets would have done to them...
ss

HI! Shamsher - its bullets not pellets :oops: yeah some of the paper may have fiber tears through em but them at 900-1000 fps I have never shot at soggy targets and you might get a clean cut- remember here the pits were covered and the wind driven raindrops were getting on the paper. Interesting event as envisaged by you had happened at the last years big bore match. AS the match progressed the wind got stronger and started raising dust into the shooters eyes. The refreee ordered that the match would continue. It drizzled a bit - match continued -final reprieve came when the wind gusted and blew away several target sheets off the frames - Big bore targets are pretty big over a meter x meter sq. The match was called off and reshot the next day.
shutzen
Cal .375
Cal .375

PostAuthor: shutzen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:06 pm

Goldfinger wrote:tHATS THE sHUTZEN WE HAVE BEEN MISSING FOR SOME TIME. Gooood!!! fORGOT TO PUT THE CAPS LOCK OFF BUT iAM NOT GOING TO CHANGE IT THIS TIME.

Bang on Goldfinger ;) hope I shared some of the experience with you .well my son shot in this detail when I clicked the pics . He is in the prone match photo adjacent to the pillar on the extreme right side in the red jacket

Goldfinger wrote: I heard that in international events there is a paper roll behind the targets which moves laterally at a very slow speed thereby ensuring that all shots are accounted for. This way nobody can shoot a good clover and let fly the others and then claim all shots in the same clover group. Is that right and do we have it in our Nationals ?

Well most International events are shot on "electronic Targets" its basically one shot per target be it paper or electronic - question of shooting a group and claiming a pass through shot does not arise ;) However even the electronic targets have a backing paper target behind them and if someone does a crossfire then the paper target can be used to determine the culprit. International events have to be conducted as per ISSF rules and they stipulate the type of targest and the ways and means of determining crossfires if any . In the Nationals here too we just shoot one shot onto one target so essentially in a 60 shot match you use 60 targets. You are penalised if your target has more than one shot unless you claim a crossfire and the refree awards you the crossfire. The NRAI has the leeway to amend the ISSF rules in National /regionals competitions to incorporate a few local rules as per conditions
shutzen
Cal .375
Cal .375

PostAuthor: Goldfinger » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:51 pm

Got him. Strapping young lad.

Spotting Scopes
At Jalandhar I saw through some of the spotting scopes on sale. The Anschutz scope had a very small field of view though it was bright and that was understandably to view the shots with the scope aimed and fixed at the target. There were a few other Italian brands with wider fields and apparently did the job quite well. What magnifications, objective size and eye tube angulations are the preferred? Which is a better all round scope ?
smilies_007
Goldfinger
Cal .375
Cal .375

My Guns: Walther DBBL. Brno Model 2, HW 90

Next

Return to Rifle Shooting