Navigator
Online Users

In total there are 6 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 177 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:12 am

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 4 guests based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Recent Topics
BKL mounts
by: ai
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:07 pm
View latest reply...

UTG Twist Lock 1" mo...
by: ai
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:07 pm
View latest reply...

Weaver ultra low mou...
by: ai
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:04 pm
View latest reply...

Leupold 1" mounts...
by: ai
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:00 pm
View latest reply...

Brno Mod 2 ADAPTER S...
by: ai
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:57 pm
View latest reply...

UTG offset 1" mount...
by: ai
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:55 pm
View latest reply...

Black Walther CP88 ...
by: ai
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:37 pm
View latest reply...

your point of view o...
by: sandysingh
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:04 pm
View latest reply...

: My Beretta 92fs pe...
by: rpuri
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:02 pm
View latest reply...

rosewood for stock
by: Bobby-N.G.H
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:01 pm
View latest reply...

iof .22lr modificati...
by: Bobby-N.G.H
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:51 pm
View latest reply...

My Precihole PCP ACH...
by: ai
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:52 am
View latest reply...

Shot Show 2019 new A...
by: ai
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:06 am
View latest reply...

Base mount required
by: denong
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:48 am
View latest reply...

Mp3 player

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.



We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Site Statistics

Total members 4243

Total posts 60151
Total topics 11351

Our newest member megha2323

Search

Straightening a barrel in a springer

Re: Straightening an barrel in a springer

PostAuthor: tirths » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:01 pm

pkjeetesh";p="14962 wrote:No offense intended Badshah...in your experience....removing the barrel of lets say a break barrel springer like IHP.....how is the barrel actually fixed on to the breech block?...is it ...

1. power pressed into it

2. reverse threaded into it

3. pin locked....or

4. is the whole thing a machined one piece

jeetesh


Dono abt IHP but my cannon is threaded one!
User avatar
tirths
Cal .375
Cal .375
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:36 pm
My Guns: B40, Cannon, CFX, Titan
City: Chennai

PostAuthor: snIPer » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:15 pm

SS - Id rather not reveal a few secrets :-)

IHP barrels are reverse threaded into the block.
put the block in the vice - use a plumbers wrench with some protection to prevent scratches and twist. - havent done it myself but my friend has.
User avatar
snIPer
Cal .600 NE
Cal .600 NE
 
Posts: 522
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:57 pm
My Guns: 12 bore
City: agra

PostAuthor: badshah0522 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:31 pm

Well i have no experience with IHP,, I can tell you after checking it ,,but in most of the rifles it is threaded
pkjeetesh";p="14962 wrote:No offense intended Badshah...in your experience....removing the barrel of lets say a break barrel springer like IHP.....how is the barrel actually fixed on to the breech block?...is it ...

1. power pressed into it

2. reverse threaded into it

3. pin locked....or

4. is the whole thing a machined one piece

jeetesh
[font=Century Gothic] [/font] Aana Free, Jana Free, Pakre gaye to Khana Free..
smilies_006
badshah0522
Cal .223
Cal .223
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:23 pm

PostAuthor: fantumfan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:18 pm

Jeetesh, Badshah, Sniper,

Its a barrel from an IHP 25 of 1985 vintage. It was power pressed and held with some sort of a glue.

Jeetesh, centering specialist ? all that went on top of the head. So please elaborate.

Badshah, I could have easily cut the barrel at the block but would have lost precious 3.5 inches of barrel length. Every additional inch will give me an increase of 10 to 15 fps. Wish I had a IHP 35 barrel to play with.

Now need to reduce the OD on a lathe to fit it into the SSP250 but I don't know when that will happen as the weekdays and weekends are packed. Grrrrrr......

M.
Darr ke aage jeet hai

http://www.mfta.in/
User avatar
fantumfan
Cal .600 NE
Cal .600 NE
 
Posts: 1139
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:07 pm
My Guns: FWB300S Junior
City: Mombai

PostAuthor: snIPer » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:39 pm

Manish,
I have a National .177 of 1984- havent tried removing the barrel but i did straighten out the bend using the method i mentioned.
ALso springers dont necessarily need barrel lengths more than 12 - 14 inches.
/s/
User avatar
snIPer
Cal .600 NE
Cal .600 NE
 
Posts: 522
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:57 pm
My Guns: 12 bore
City: agra

PostAuthor: fantumfan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:07 pm

Of course, It works. I know that.

The barrel goes on a SSP-250 CO2 pistol being converted into a take down carbine, not a springer.

M.

snIPer";p="15016 wrote:Manish,
I have a National .177 of 1984- havent tried removing the barrel but i did straighten out the bend using the method i mentioned.
ALso springers dont necessarily need barrel lengths more than 12 - 14 inches.
/s/
Darr ke aage jeet hai

http://www.mfta.in/
User avatar
fantumfan
Cal .600 NE
Cal .600 NE
 
Posts: 1139
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:07 pm
My Guns: FWB300S Junior
City: Mombai

PostAuthor: pkjeetesh » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:25 am

fantumfan2003";p="15013 wrote:Jeetesh, Badshah, Sniper,

Its a barrel from an IHP 25 of 1985 vintage. It was power pressed and held with some sort of a glue.

Jeetesh, centering specialist ? all that went on top of the head. So please elaborate.

Badshah, I could have easily cut the barrel at the block but would have lost precious 3.5 inches of barrel length. Every additional inch will give me an increase of 10 to 15 fps. Wish I had a IHP 35 barrel to play with.

Now need to reduce the OD on a lathe to fit it into the SSP250 but I don't know when that will happen as the weekdays and weekends are packed. Grrrrrr......

M.


Centering specialists....mostly motor people....these people have a knack of straightening even case hardened shafts....if a chemical analysis of a sample portion of the shaft can provided to them, then they will know exactly which method to adopt in order to get the barrel straight...all this only if you want to be thoroughly convinced that the barrel is indeed straight and that you can now shoot without any doubt...
User avatar
pkjeetesh
Cal .275
Cal .275
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:33 am

PostAuthor: snIPer » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:04 pm

fantumfan2003";p="15020 wrote:Of course, It works. I know that.

Sorry did not quite get that.

Best of luck with the conversion - please do post pics when done :-)
User avatar
snIPer
Cal .600 NE
Cal .600 NE
 
Posts: 522
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:57 pm
My Guns: 12 bore
City: agra

PostAuthor: karizman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:29 pm

Great, are you also working on other modifications required to utilize extra length of barrel you intend to fix?

I would appreciate to know the figures before & after modifications. Of course, if you don't mind.

fantumfan2003";p="15020 wrote:Of course, It works. I know that.

The barrel goes on a SSP-250 CO2 pistol being converted into a take down carbine, not a springer.

M.

snIPer";p="15016 wrote:Manish,
I have a National .177 of 1984- havent tried removing the barrel but i did straighten out the bend using the method i mentioned.
ALso springers dont necessarily need barrel lengths more than 12 - 14 inches.
/s/
Build A Better Mousetrap And World Will Beat A Path To Your Door-step.
User avatar
karizman
Cal .375
Cal .375
 
Posts: 384
Images: 0
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: 19.113029,73.006445
My Guns: Aarya, National Arms De Tulle, BSA, Crosman 357, Gamo
City: Mumbai

Re: Straightening a barrel in a springer

PostAuthor: pkjeetesh » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:39 am

here ya go guys....a barrel straightening device that I made...thanks to Charlie da tuna....his website has a write up on how to make one...

here I am trying to straighten an IHP .177cal barrel which seemed to be bent upwards...

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
pkjeetesh
Cal .275
Cal .275
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:33 am

Re: Straightening a barrel in a springer

PostAuthor: Shamsher » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:41 am

And the "Jugaard" of the month award goes to pkjeetesh
User avatar
Shamsher
Cal .600 NE
Cal .600 NE
 
Posts: 4231
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:47 pm
My Guns: Some for fun
City: Taj Mahal

Re: Straightening a barrel in a springer

PostAuthor: TenX » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:16 am

Amazing stuff chief.. well done...
I have a small suggestion.. why not put in a thick rubber/leather ring on the inside of the big nut, so that there are no marks on the barrel :)

Also, the other two holes can be used to put in a 'platform' for the barrel to rest on, in case the bend in barrel is more acute for the support to be in the extremes..
"""Never Shave without a Blade"""
User avatar
TenX
Cal .600 NE
Cal .600 NE
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:27 pm
Location: Bangalore, India
My Guns: None
City: Bangalore

Re: Straightening a barrel in a springer

PostAuthor: pkjeetesh » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:18 pm

thank You SS....not exactly a Jugaard....this is a proven method for straightening bent barrels...idea taken straight from Bob of Charlie Da Tuna...except that he made one using wood...

thank you TenX...will go as per your valuable suggestions....
User avatar
pkjeetesh
Cal .275
Cal .275
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:33 am

Re: Straightening a barrel in a springer

PostAuthor: Goldfinger » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:54 pm

Greatly impressed by your skills.

Goldfinger
Cal .375
Cal .375
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:58 pm
My Guns: Walther DBBL. Brno Model 2, HW 90
City: Chandigarh

Re: Straightening a barrel in a springer

PostAuthor: pkjeetesh » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:42 pm

thank u Goldfinger.....Im still maintaining the fact that the design is not mine...
User avatar
pkjeetesh
Cal .275
Cal .275
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:33 am

PreviousNext

Return to Gunsmithing



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron